Looking for the cheapest KLM flights online? Instantly compare and book your own KLM air tickets with Fly-Nigeria.com, or find out more about this leading European airline here.
About the airline
KLM, also called Royal Dutch Airlines, is the official carrier of the Netherlands. Headquartered in Amsterdam, KLM’s Nigerian hubs can be found in Lagos (Murtala Mohammed Airport), Port Harcourt (Port Harcourt International Airport) and Abuja (Abuja International Airport). KLM forms part of the SkyTeam airline alliance and offers both cargo and passenger airline services. KLM’s subsidiaries include KLM Cityhopper, Martinair and Transavia.
KLM is the oldest airline (97 years old) known to be conducting business with its original name intact. The airline was founded by Albert Plesman and commenced operations in 1919. Between 1935 and 1945, during the Second World War, KLM ceased all services, only starting up with domestic passenger flights once more in 1945. In December of 1991, KLM became the first airline to offer a frequent flyer program on the European continent. This program was called “Flying Dutchman”.
Rewards / Frequent Flyer Program
KLM in Nigeria offers the Flying Blue frequent flyer program. This rewards program has code share agreements with a variety of other airlines. Passengers can earn miles with every ticket bought and use those miles towards purchasing future tickets, car rental, hotel bookings or donating to charity.
Key routes and destinations
KLM currently flies passenger flights to over 133 destinations in 70 countries spread across five continents. Passengers can view destinations reached from Nigeria by visiting the dedicated travel guide section on the KLM website.
The KLM fleet
The KLM Fleet consists of over 117 aircraft including the following:
- Airbus: A330-300, A330-300.
- Boeing: 737-700, 737-800, 737-900, 747-400, 777-300ER, 777-200ER, 787-9.
- Other: EMBRAER 190, Fokker 70, EMBRAER 175.
Cabins and Flight Classes
As of 2016, KLM offers 3 main classes of travel:
- KLM Business Class – business class passengers are entitled to fully flexible tickets, extra baggage allowance, in-seat power supply and additional leg room and seat space on board with the middle seats all vacant. All business class passengers earn 250% Flying Blue Miles with every ticket booked. Business class passengers are offered many dining options and receive priority check-in, boarding, disembarking and baggage collection options.
- New World Business Class – this business class offers larger seats with increased incline, in-seat power, personal entertainment system with 17inch screen and 175% Flying Blue miles along with all the services provided to regular business class passengers. Free meals, beverages and a copy of the Holland Herald are included.
- KLM Economy Class – this class offers ergonomic seat design and free on board meals. Passengers can elect to have meals specially prepared to meet with their dietary requirements. Passengers in economy class are provided with a pillow, blanket, a copy of the Holland Herald as well as access to the on board entertainment system.
On Board Entertainment
The KLM in-flight entertainment system provides over 200 movies available in 12 languages and many genres from comedy to travel, drama to lifestyle, kid’s entertainment, music audio books and games. The entertainment system also includes an interactive 3D map, seat chat application and 16-inch screens. Older aircraft feature entertainment systems with 80 movies and smaller screens.
Baggage allowances vary depending on the flight and destination. KLM has general baggage rules which stipulate that economy class travellers may take 1 checked-in bag weighing no more than 23kg. Business class travellers may take 2 checked-in bags each weighing no more than 32kg and with dimensions not exceeding 158cm (l + w + h).
Hand baggage can be carried in all classes. In business class, 2 pieces of hand baggage are allowed (not exceeding 18kg) while in economy class, 1 piece of hand baggage is allowed (not exceeding 12kg). In both instances, each piece of hand baggage may not exceed the following dimensions: 55cm x 25cm x 35cm. Passengers can take an additional accessory on board as long as it does not exceed 40cm x 30cm x 15cm.
Contacting KLM in Nigeria
KLM in Nigeria can be contacted via social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter or via a KLM counter at Abuja, Lagos or Port Harcourt International Airports. Passengers can also find KLM city offices at the following locations:
- Abuja – at Sheraton Hotel and Towers
- Lagos – South Atlantic Petroleum Towers
- Port Harcourt – Oly Obasanjo Road
The KLM call center in Nigeria can be reached on +234 1 277 8050.
KLM in Recent News
In March 2016 KLM started replacing its planes on the Lagos-Paris and Lagos-Amsterdam routes, in an attempt to improve on the services and comfort offered to Nigerian passengers. The airline’s plans for improving on Nigerian routes and services were presented at a “client dinner” held by the airline in Nigeria in February, which was attended by 150 people including Chief Jonathan Olopade who has been flying with KLM in excess of 50 years.
The airline has also recently been forced to increase their airfares in Nigeria due to the government’s forex policies making repatriation of revenues from the country highly problematic.
Booking your own KLM flights
Use the above flight booking form to instantly compare and book your own KLM flights, or visit www.klm.com – NOT www.klm.com.ng – for more information and the airline’s 2016 direct flight specials.